The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. We build technology that affords new opportunities for governments and development organizations and actors to be increasingly collaborative, data-driven, and accountable to the people they serve. We also make tools that provide opportunities for organizations to make better use of their data to help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, agriculture, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure and government accountability.
Ona works with its partners to develop data solutions based on technologies Ona develops. These include Ona Data (ona.io) - a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy - our new enterprise analytics solution and OpenSRP (smartregister.org) a mobile health platform Ona is developing with the World Health Organization.
We are looking for a Data Analyst to help build out our enterprise analytics tools and support our clients in making data-driven decisions. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the design, implementation, and development of data analytics solutions for our clients across Ona’s data solution and global health projects. He/she must have a strong understanding of data analysis and data visualization techniques with the ability to design and deliver engaging, informative data stories using a variety of techniques and tools. He/she should be capable of working under minimal supervision.
Lastly, the ideal candidate should be able to combine a strong understanding of how technology can best be used to address problems with deep understanding of global development issues in the humanitarian or health sectors. We are looking for people who are passionate about the potential of technology to drive positive change. We work globally on some of the world’s hardest problems partnering with organizations like the WHO, UNICEF and DFID.
This role will report to the Data Analytics Lead.
- Create and design dashboards, automated reports, report templates and presentations by analyzing client data using Ona’s suite of data visualization and analysis tools.
- Influence client decisions through state of the art analytics and helping our clients to identify understandable, actionable, data-driven insights and quickly identify key themes from their data.
- Work with other data solutions team members to understand, clarify and document client data analysis and reporting needs.
- Work with the support and M&E teams to enhance data collection structures and procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems.
- Works autonomously and with little direction to complete assignments.
- Aggregate large data sets in R, Excel and other analytical tools for analysis. Develop data strategies specifically around data structures, identifying critical information, as well as the tools used to retrieve and analyze the data. Perform research and analysis on large data sets - data exploration, trending, modelling, etc.
- With minimal supervision, take the lead role in tasks/projects assigned to you, ensuring task/project timelines are met, and ensuring clients kept informed while doing necessary follow-up.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within the scope and within budget at the highest attainable quality standards.
- Communicate project progress in a timely manner to Ona’s senior management team and project stakeholders.
- Analyse user feedback and ensure the application continuously improves and optimizes client satisfaction.
- Represent the company and through client and potential client, interactions spread the word and support the sale of our products, services, and solutions.
- Author XLSForms for various client projects to simplify the data collection process while minimizing data cleaning.
- Train clients/users on how to develop XLSForms, how to use the ONA Platform, how to use RapidPro, and possibly other ONA products.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, e.g. Computer Science, Data Science, Business Intelligence, IT, Economics, Social Science or Engineering, etc.
- At least 3 years work experience in data analysis, data mining, BI and Analytics development or other related analytical projects with recent proven experience developing data visualizations, dashboards, and reporting.
- Familiarity with or experience using widely-adopted data analytics and business intelligence platforms a plus (e.g. Superset, Tableau PowerBI).
- Experience working with large datasets (on relational as well as non-relational data stores) and excellent understanding of metadata.
- Possess sharp analytical skills and problem-solving abilities especially with data forecasting, cleansing and transformations.
- Strong proficiency in query/reporting tools, SQL, Advanced Excel, Superset (or similar visualization tool), R/Python or other statistical tools.
- Comfortable working with modern data technologies. Familiarity with database modeling and data warehousing principles.
- Ability to work effectively with data science and engineering colleagues to meet the data needs of the clients, translating needs into analytical requirements.
- Ability to communicate the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner with product and leadership teams to influence the overall strategy of the product.
- Knowledge and experience working with agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of project management tools a plus (e.g. GitHub projects, Harvest, Avaza, Trello).
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Business Intelligence, MBA, Social Science etc.
- Monitoring and Evaluation Experience preferred.
- Additional qualifications in public health, health informatics, and international development will be an advantage.
- Experience in exploratory data analysis and familiarity with advanced quantitative analysis and statistical techniques.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and communication and collaboration skills.
- Skilled at translating business requirements into data requirements with a deep understanding of project objectives and available data.
- Comfortable with advanced analytics tools such as Advanced SQL, Pandas, R, and Spark.
- Experience in data preparation tools like Tableau Prep or Alteryx a plus.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills including use of macros/advanced formulas.
- Interest and deep familiarity with ICT4D.
- Experience working with international companies.
- A team player who enjoys interacting with people of all levels in a multicultural environment.
- Right to live and work in Kenya preferred.
Please send the following to email@example.com:
- Cover letter describing why you are interested in this position and working at Ona.
- Resume or CV.
Please note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.