- Location: Bethesda, MD
- Hours: 20 – 40 hours per week
- Application deadline: March 30
- Interviews: April 9 – 20
- Internship dates: May – August
- Pay: Available and awarded based on experience
At Ona, we believe in actively developing and encouraging new talent. This internship gives junior designers a chance to get design experience while applying their skills to important global issues. If you are new to the industry, or a recent or soon to be graduate, we urge you to apply.
As a design intern, you'll be joining a creative team that keeps our brand bold and consistent, our data dashboards clear and beautiful, and our designs focused on people and end users. You'll learn all aspects of designing in a startup environment with a distributed team. We do a variety of work, from communications to branding to UI/UX design to human-centered design, so there is opportunity to build skills in many areas.
Qualities We Like
- You care about our mission and are drawn to how technology can play a huge role in bringing people out of poverty and helping communities recover from humanitarian disasters.
- You have a formal or informal education in graphic or interaction design at an undergraduate or postgraduate level.
- You love design. You love building and designing things.
- You understand how design is not always about aesthetics, but know that sometimes making something beautiful is vital.
- You can learn quickly.
- You have some experience with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. HTML/CSS/JS would also be great.
- You have a portfolio of work.
Ona is a social enterprise with employees in the US and Kenya. Some of our work includes an electronic immunization registry in Zambia, a malaria spraying app, and the Ona Platform, our namesake SaaS data platform. We are also involved in initiatives like Canopy and OpenSRP.
The design director at Ona has 15 years of experience in design, 6 focused on the social sector and international development. He learned data visualization and branding at Pentagram, human-centered design and design thinking at Frog, and how design can fit into social impact at The Earth Institute, Columbia University. The design intern will work directly with the design director.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Please note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.