The world’s leading humanitarian and development organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. Our tools are used globally to improve child and maternal health, governance, agriculture, access to infrastructure, and government accountability. Our team has played a pioneering role in the use of technology for social impact. Ona is a team of just under forty, consisting of passionate software engineers, data analysts, designers, support specialists and development practitioners. Ona has offices in Nairobi, Kenya and Washington D.C.
Our consulting work is challenging, takes us to difficult places, and has direct impact. In the past two years, Ona has successfully delivered technology solutions projects in over 15 countries. These include developing the vote tallying software used in Libyan elections, supporting WHO and the government of Sierra Leone in the Ebola response, providing a lead technical support role to the DFID Somalia Humanitarian Programme, and supporting the Government of Nepal conduct the post-earthquake damage assessment.
We are looking for a skilled HR Associate to help manage all aspects of Human Resources practices and processes. The associate will support business needs and assist in the implementation HR strategies and objectives. The goal is to promote corporate values and enable business success through human resources management, including job design, recruitment, performance management, training and development and employment cycle changes. We seek a candidate who is young, dynamic and willing to grow with the company.
This role will report to Ona’s Operations Manager.
Training and Development
- Leads the implementation of the performance management system that includes performance development plans (PDPs) and employee development programs.
- Establishes an in-house employee training system that addresses company needs including; training needs assessment, new employee onboarding or orientation, personnel trainings on culture, diversity, sexual harassment etc.
- Identify and advise management on the training needs and the relevant beneficial training courses or opportunities
- Advise staff and managers on application of performance management system, refresher trainings, advise on managing poor performance and linking performance review to annual increments, learning and development initiatives.
Hiring and Recruitment
- Coordinate implementation of all phases of recruitment from advertising, screening, shortlisting, interviewing, reference checks, orientation and final job placement.
- Working with the recruiting manager to creating and/or revise job descriptions and Terms of Reference if needed.
- Overseeing employees’ exit interviews.
- Chairs any employee related meetings.
- Formulates and recommends Human Resources policies and objectives for the company on any topic associated with employee relations and employee rights.
- Partners with management to communicate Human Resources policies, procedures, programs, and laws.
- Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation. Conducts periodic surveys to measure employee satisfaction and employee engagement.
- Coaches and trains managers in their communication, feedback, recognition, and interaction responsibilities with the employees who report to them. Makes certain that the managers know how to successfully, ethically, honestly, and legally communicate with employees.
- Conducts investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth.
- Monitors and advises managers and supervisors in the progressive discipline system of the company.
- Monitors the implementation of a performance improvement process with non-performing employees.
- Leads the implementation of company safety and health programs. Monitors the tracking of OSHA-required data.
- Reviews employee appeals and ensures that high standards of discipline are maintained within the company, act on non-compliance in a fair, transparent and effective manner.
- Leads competitive market research to establish pay practices and pay bands that help to recruit and retain superior staff.
- Monitors best practices in compensation and benefits through research and up-to-date information on available products.
- Leads company compliance with all existing governmental and labor legal and government reporting requirements thereby ensuring minimal company exposure to lawsuits.
- Directs the preparation of information requested or required for compliance with laws. Approves all information submitted. Serves as the primary contact with the company employment law attorney and outside government agencies.
- Protects the interests of employees and the company in accordance with company Human Resources policies and governmental laws and regulations. Minimizes risk.
Management of staff benefits
- Maintains and manages the company’s medical Insurance scheme by analyze medical claims, monitor fund expenditure, liaise with insurance brokers on any issues that may arise, analyze on an annual basis cost effectiveness of the fund and advise on best suited medical providers.
- Manage staff benefits which includes group medical scheme, group pension scheme (if any) and WIBA.
Team Player/Company Ambassador
- Represent the company and Spread the word about our products and services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or other related field.
- Msc. Human Resource Management will be an added advantage.
- Full IHRM Membership will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a HR Generalist role preferably designing and implementing HR policies.
- Knowledge of the labor legislation governing the labor market. (OSHA, WIBA and Kenya Employment Act.)
- A great communicator and listener. Being comfortable with and enjoying working across different cultures (and time zones) is paramount.
- Broad knowledge and experience in recruitment, training and development and performance management.
- Possess excellent problem-solving skills and team management experience.
- Tactical focus, flexible and change maker.
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-starter and motivated to move ahead without direct instruction
Desirable qualifications, skills and abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience working in a technology firm / with technologists preferred.
- Experience working with international companies.
- A team player who enjoys interacting with people of all levels in a multicultural environment.
Send references, CV, and a note on why you’d like to work at Ona to firstname.lastname@example.org