The mHealth Technical Lead will be responsible for helping to provide technical oversight, management and strategic leadership related to the development and maintenance of Ona’s mHealth technologies.
The mHealth Technical Lead (TL) will work closely with Ona’s mHealth solutions team to help translate functional requirements across projects to technical requirements for OpenSRP and related platforms. The TL will be responsible for helping to incorporate these into the technical roadmap for platforms. The TL will be responsible for creating detailed technical requirements and then working with Ona’s engineering teams to discuss and decide on the right technical approach.
The TL will be the primary source of contact for other technical partners of OpenSRP and platform partners like OpenLMIS. The TL will be responsible for helping to incorporate their specific needs into the technical roadmap and help coordinate their technical contributions. In this capacity, the TL will be the community lead for the OpenSRP tech community. This involves helping to lead the weekly tech community call and organizing scheduled check-ins with Ona’s technical partners. The TL will also help serve as a technical point of contact with Ona and it’s other technical partners like OpenLMIS and RapidPro. In this capacity, the TL will be responsible for supporting the integration with partner platforms and being involved in their technical communities.
The TL will be responsible for overseeing the development / improvement of documentation related to Ona’s mHealth platforms. This includes creating detailed technical systems architecture diagrams and ensuring install and onboarding documentation is up-to-date to help facilitate adoption of the platform.
The TL will be expected to help provide project management support on projects when requested. The TL will also be expected to play a key role in business development from contributing to technical proposals to working closely with Ona’s mHealth Solutions lead to help design and scope technical solutions for clients.
Lastly, we expect the TL to be an avid technologist who stays on top of technical trends always looking to bring new ideas to advance Ona’s technology solutions. As a thought leader, the TL will represent Ona at conferences and meetings and will be expected to blog frequently.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field: e.g. computer science, engineering, public health, etc.
- At least four years professional experience developing technology solutions ideally in mHealth or other technology for development fields.
- Demonstrated knowledge of technical architecture, IHE interoperability standards, data exchange standards such as HL7 v2, v3, and FHIR, OpenHIE and RESTful API-based interoperability
- Knowledge and experience working with agile methodologies
- Ability to read and troubleshoot code. Ideally, ability to contribute changes / fixes.
- Ability to communicate accurately, clearly, and effectively in written and spoken English.
- Motivated to complete projects in a fast-paced environment, and can get things done quickly and efficiently, regardless of obstacles.
- Able to prioritize dozens of high value tasks simultaneously, in an environment where priorities are constantly changing. Able to stay organized in this environment.
- Self-starter and motivated to move ahead without direct instruction on each step of a project.
- Able to take big, sometimes nebulous tasks and break them down into the right sequence.
- Willing to travel globally (potentially up to 20-30% of time).
- Knowledge of project management tools a plus (e.g. GitHub projects, Harvest, Trello).
- Able to read and understand source code in Java.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, business administration, public health, engineering, etc.
- Additional qualifications in public health, health informatics, international development will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge of technical architecture, data standards such as FHiR, OpenHIE, etc
- Familiarity with or experience implementing widely-adopted, open source mHealth platforms like (e.g. OpenMRS, OpenSRP, DHIS2, RapidPro).
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with and lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Interest and deep familiarity with ICT4D.
- Experience working with international companies.
- Experience managing software teams.
- Experience developing software.
- A team player who enjoys interacting with people of all levels in a multicultural environment.
- Prior experience living or working in a foreign country.
- Ability to speak another language(s), eg. French, a strong plus.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coverletter - Tell us why you are a good fit for this position and want to work at Ona
Please note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.