The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. Using mapping and data technologies from its namesake mobile survey platform, Ona builds mobile apps such OpenSRP, which helps community health workers deliver services more effectively to rural families and Canopy, an enterprise analytics platform created specifically for international development organizations. Ona has offices in Nairobi, Kenya and in Burlington, VT, New York, NY, and Washington DC.
Ona works with its partners to develop data solutions based on technologies Ona develops. These include Ona Data - a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy - our new enterprise analytics solution and OpenSRP a mobile health platform Ona is developing with the World Health Organization.
We are looking for a project manager to support our expanding digital health portfolio by helping to define open standards for rapid diagnostics tests (RDTs) that make them machine readable. The ideal candidate would have a background in basic biology (e.g. biochemistry, immunology, cell biology) and preferably with knowledge of computer science and informatics, and proven experience in project management and administration, solution development, proposal preparation, along with fantastic relationship-building and communication skills.
This role is based on the US East Coast or Nairobi, Kenya. This role will report to the RDT project leads and the CTO.
- Work with partners including manufacturers, clinicians, and scientists to define a set of specifications for RDT manufacturing to optimize machine reading and diagnosis.
- This would involve defining RDT cassette design and layout, information codes to be embedded on the test itself for identification of counterfeit, expired or improperly used tests.
- Defining the proper workflow for each test and the informatics model enabling interpretation of the test in the context of other clinical conditions.
- Liaise with technology development teams creating the RDT reader application and information interoperability scheme.
- The work involves travel to multiple project sites.
- The above will involve assistance in operationalizing the project goals, objectives and functional requirements.
- Help to manage the project and ensure milestones are met and deliverables submitted on time, within scope and within budget at the highest attainable quality standards.
- Managing deliverables and financial reporting and acceptance testing.
Qualifications and experience
- Undergraduate degree
- Background in basic biology (e.g. biochemistry, immunology, cell biology)
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to adapt to different contexts
- Willingness and ability to travel for work, including to rural areas
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent proposal and report-writing skills
- Interest in and deep familiarity with ICT4D
- Experience working with international companies
- Master’s or other advanced degree
- Experience with rapid diagnostic tests, microarrays, PCRs, and other field and laboratory diagnostic tests
- Familiarity with or experience using widely-adopted, open source data and information platforms (e.g. OpenSRP, OpenMRS, DHIS2, RapidPro)
- Experience with project management tools and software (e.g. Harvest, Trello, Confluence, Slack, Google Drive, GitHub)
- Prior experience working in LMICs
- Fluency in an additional language
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter describing why you are interested in this position and working at Ona.
- Resume or CV.
Please note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.