The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. Ona works with its partners to develop data solutions based on technologies Ona develops. These include Ona Data (ona.io), a mobile data collection and visualization platform and OpenSRP (smartregister.org) a mobile health platform Ona is developing with the World Health Organization.
We are looking for a project manager with experience developing and implementing mobile technology solutions in areas like health (mHealth) and other service delivery areas. This includes creating child vaccine systems for Ministries of Health and supporting the coordination of large humanitarian response efforts.
The ideal candidate will be able to combine a strong understanding of how technology can best be used to address problems with deep understanding of global development issues such as humanitarian or health. The ideal candidate has experience working with software engineering and design teams to help translate needs into technical requirements and helping ensure projects stay within scope and budget.
We are looking for people who are passionate about the potential of technology to drive positive change. We work globally on some of the world’s hardest problems, while partnering with organizations like WHO, UNICEF and PATH.
Roles / responsibilities
- Work with clients and partners to define the problem they are trying to address and design an appropriate technology solution. This often involves travel to the partner site.
- Assist in the definition of project scope, objectives and functional requirements, including writing project proposals and budgets, while involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on time, within scope and budget and at the highest attainable quality standards.
- Have the technical understanding to translate program requirements into technical requirements and communicate and work closely with our engineers.
- Write software specifications, manage project execution, review UI/UX wireframes and mockups, and define product roll-out strategy, including writing product development timelines.
- Work with engineering, design and marketing team members to plan, build, launch, assess impact, and write about high quality products that solve pressing global and humanitarian data issues.
- Communicate project progress in a timely manner to Ona’s senior management team and project stakeholders.
- Attend stakeholder meetings, workshops, and conferences and present Ona’s products and work to diverse audiences (health, technical, etc).
- Analyse user feedback and ensure the application continuously improves and optimizes client satisfaction.
The project manager will report to the Director of Client Solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, e.g. computer science, IT, economics, social science, engineering, etc.
- At least four years of experience in a technology environment, including 2+ years professional experience in technology solutions development.
- Additional qualifications in public health, health informatics, international development will be an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience working with agile methodologies
- Ability to communicate accurately, clearly, and effectively in written and spoken English.
- Motivated to complete projects in a fast-paced environment, and can get things done quickly and efficiently, regardless of obstacles.
- Able to prioritize dozens of high value tasks simultaneously, in an environment where priorities are constantly changing. Able to stay organized in this environment.
- Self-starter and motivated to move ahead without direct instruction on each step of a project.
- Able to take big, sometimes nebulous tasks and break them down into the right sequence.
- Willing to travel globally (potentially up to 20-30% of time).
- Knowledge of project management tools a plus (e.g. GitHub projects, Harvest, Trello).
- Familiarity with or experience using widely-adopted, open source data and information platforms a plus (e.g. OpenMRS, DHIS2, RapidPro).
Desirable qualifications, skills and abilities
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, business administration, public health, engineering, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with and lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Interest and deep familiarity with ICT4D.
- Experience working with international companies.
- Experience managing software teams.
- Experience developing software.
- A team player who enjoys interacting with people of all levels in a multicultural environment.
- Prior experience living or working in a foreign country.
- Ability to speak other international language(s), including French, a strong plus.
- Right to live and work in Kenya preferred.
To apply, send references, CV, and a note on why you’d like to work at Ona to email@example.com
Please note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.