Ona Release Notes
Monthly highlights of improvements and bug fixes on the Ona platform.
05-03-2017 v1.3.46 Release
- We are excited to announce our new Help site, which makes finding answers faster with improved search functionality and article categories.
- The duration metadata chart has new axes labels and better time binning.
- The TextIt and RapidPro Apps were updated to use TextIt API v2 rather than v1, which was discontinued.
- Fixed: The metadata section on the chart side bar appeared distorted on some browsers.
- Fixed: Chart titles on the dashboard was sometimes hidden when grouping by a second field.
- Fixed: Preview forms were causing permissions bugs and links to preview form were removed.
- Fixed: A bug caused CSVZIP exports to hang.
04-01-2017 v1.3.41 Release
- We are excited to announce the integration of Tableau Connector into Ona Apps. Tableau is a data visualization tool that enables you to create visually appealing reports, charts, graphs, and dashboards. The connector lets you easily feed your data from Ona into Tableau.
- Ona charts now support three variables. You can view three dimensions on a chart by grouping an integer chart by two categorical variables. For example, you can have age (integer) grouped by district (category) grouped by gender (category).
- Toggle null answers on and off on charts. Clicking on the null toggle button lets you show or hide null values in the chart visualization.
- Fixed: Date and time entries were sometimes displayed as invalid dates on both maps and tables.
- Fixed: Usage info to the billing section message was turned off on new accounts.
- Fixed: Show metadata link wasn’t showing up on a single submission modal.
- Fixed: Pull CSV options had white/grey colors on the view by dropdown on map.
- Fixed: Pulling new submissions from a linked dataset on Enketo wasn't possible.
03-01-2017 v1.3.38 Release
- We updated our pricing plans. Visit the plans page for more information. If you have any questions or would like to learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Users are now required to add their API Key to access tokens while adding basemaps using their Mapbox account.
- Fixed: It wasn't possible to scroll through the pages on the table view for datasets with special characters in the form field name.
- Fixed: The table view on filtered datasets created on public forms was not accessible.
- Fixed: ODK and Ona Collect apps were returning an authentication error when pulling a linked dataset. Authentication is now enforced on linked datasets and working without error.
- Fixed: Lines and polygons weren't showing up on the map view.
- Fixed: When browsing photos at full size, clicking the download button sometimes downloaded the wrong image.
- Fixed: When switching a form between active and inactive status, the project page sometimes required reloading to see the change.
02-01-2017 v1.3.33 Release
- This month, we introduced the Ona Form Builder. The online form builder lets you design Ona forms that include features like ODK question types, form logic, and validation rules. Check out Ona Help to learn to use the form builder.
- Since then, we have also added functionality that allows online editing on the form builder.
- A new version of Ona Collect is on the Google Play Store. The release includes the ability for users to share forms with other users. To reflect this in Ona Collect, we’ve added a checkbox that allows you to show or hide forms shared with you. This setting is located in General Settings.
- We added submitted_by and duration fields to the Charts tab. The submitted_by chart shows who submitted data and how many records each user submitted. The duration charts display how long each survey took to be completed — calculated from when a blank survey was opened to when it was submitted. On this chart, time (displayed in minutes) is on the x-axis and number of records is on the y-axis.
We added support to export
CSVZIPfiles on filtered datasets.
- Fixed: When viewing data on filtered datasets, the language selector was not displaying.
Fixed: Choice labels were not displayed on the table view when
- Fixed: Submissions with images were failing on encrypted forms.
- Fixed: Organization collaborator list was not being displayed.
01-01-2017 v1.3.25 Release
- To help you visualize large datasets on a map, we added hexbin and heatmap visualizations. Displaying points works well for small datasets, but a large number of submissions can cause overlapping points, which misrepresent the data and make it difficult to see geospatial trends. Hexbins and heatmaps solve that problem through binning — combining points into less discrete groups — and showing density with the resulting geospatial shapes.
- Also on maps, we added a scale bar. You can find this adjacent to map control buttons.
- You can now upload forms that contain spaces in the file name.
- We've made the single submission larger and simplified the header on table view.
- Users can now edit grouped charts that they have saved to a dataset dashboard.
- Fixed: A bug where an org member was able to transfer a project into an org account without admin or project manager rights in the org account.
- Fixed: A bug causing the table view on filtered datasets to be disabled.
- Fixed: After deleting a filtered dataset, the change was not reflected unless the page was refreshed.
12-01-2016 v1.3.19 Release
- Import a CSV dataset into Ona without having to create a predefined form. With this feature, Ona automatically and amazingly creates an XLSForm based on your data. The uploaded dataset acts as a normal Ona form, meaning the data can be visualized, edited, and built upon with new submissions. Check out Ona Help to learn to upload your first CSV dataset..
- Fine-tune data access permissions. Before this change, Can Submit and Can Edit users had access to all data in Ona. Now, you can choose to restrict data access for those users — either by granting access to only the data each individual user has submitted, or completely hiding data from Can Submit users, which is something you may do for an enumerator. These permission options occur at the form level and are found in Form Settings > Permission Restrictions.
- On forms with multiple languages, we added support to allow users see the labels in the different languages when creating filtered datasets.
- Edit chart titles on filtered dataset dashboards, just like you can on a normal dataset's charts.
- Fixed: Photos downloaded from the Photos tab were being cropped. Now, the original full resolution image is downloaded.
- Fixed: Replaced attachments were getting renamed on the server and thus not viewable.
- Fixed: The number of contributors figure displayed on the data overview page was wrong when a dataset had more than 100 records.
- Fixed: On the table view, video files were displayed without a link to view or download them. We added a link to the file.
- Fixed: On the project page, sorting in form list was not working as expected.
11-01-2016 v1.3.9 Release
- View all the Photos from your form in a slideshow format with the new Photo tab. Clicking on an image launches a full-size carousel of photos, where share and download options are available. This is a beta version of the feature. The Photos tab is only enabled if images exist in your form.
- We are excited to announce the addition of a high-resolution satellite basemap from DigitalGlobe. This will provide over 150 million square kilometers of the earth’s surface in astonishing clarity. DigitalGlobe offers the highest resolution and most up-to-date satellite imagery available on the market.
- The new status.ona.io lets you keep track of uptime so you can stay informed about the status of Ona services. A link to the status page is in the footer in case you forget the URL.
- Edit titles on any chart saved to the dashboard. Users with permissions to 'save to dashboard' can just save a chart to the dashboard, go to the corresponding tab, then click the edit icon next to the chart title to change it.
Get to Form Settings faster. A
Settingslink in the form dropdown button on project pages lets you navigate directly to the Form Settings.
Get to a form's XLSForm faster. A
- You can now use underscores in usernames. _Please_ don't make us _regret it_ by using them _excessively_.
- Fixed: Geotrace features on maps were showing as points instead of lines, so we added a line style for geotrace fields.
- Fixed: Repeat groups on filtered datasets were not editable. Note: existing filtered datasets that were created before this fix will need to be updated or deleted and created again for the fix to work. Sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
- Fixed: Some charts were displaying null when the value for the field_name was not a number. We fixed this by allowing charts that expect numeric data to work with non-numeric data.
- Fixed: On encrypted datasets, we disabled the Export Data box because exports are not allowed on encrypted datasets. Learn how to download data from encrypted datasets using ODK Briefcase.
Editbutton on the Form Settings page was not working.
- Fixed: OSM data was not being rendered on the table view because OSM tags were being displayed as blank fields.
Download XLSFormlink in the form dropdown button on project pages lets you to download an XLSForm without having to go to Form Settings first.
10-01-2016 v1.2.11 Release
- We improved our map view by enabling support for vector tile maps. Users can now view more than 100K points on a map without running into performance issues and create custom basemaps in vector tile formats on Mapbox.
- We added date bounds to the data export feature, this highlights the submission dates on the calendar. The first and last submission dates have been applied as the default export settings.
- We made the distinction between organization members and organization collaborators clearer by adding a 'c' icon with a tooltip on the share modal for organization projects.
- Some CSV data exports were taking a while to download. To fix this, we disabled caching on exports monitor so that users do not have to refresh the page whenever exports load for too long.
- We fixed a bug where some organizations on the Enterprise plan viewed over limit notifications errorneously on their accounts.
- On organization settings page, we removed an API error notification that was displayed to users.
- We fixed a bug affecting SAV datasets. This bug was form specific and affected forms that had duplicate column names. We added a unique id to handle this and these forms can now be exported.
- On filtered datasets, when media attachments were downloaded, the entire data was being downloaded as opposed to only the media from the filtered dataset. Media attachments downloads now only include media specific to the filtered dataset.
- Finally, we fixed a bug that caused avatar uploads on personal and organization accounts to disappear.
09-01-2016 v1.2.6 Release
- We added functionality to link a form as a media resource to another form. The feature is accessible to users with admin permissions on the form settings page under the form media files tab. It is especially useful to users who run surveys concurrently and want to link submissions between surveys.
- Access to the API key and API documentation is now available on the user interface. Users can access the tab from their profile settings page.
- Functionality to export .SAV datasets under the data exports option is now supported. SAV exports enable you to view choice labels. Once you have opened your SAV file using SPSS under Data View, click the button showing two cojoined arrows, one pointing to a number and the other, a letter. The same button can be clicked to reverse this action.
- On OSM map functionality, we have added support for the addition of custom URLs. Previously, users could only add base layers for openstreetmap.org and mapbox.com.
- While creating filtered datasets, the list of accounts and projects were not sorted alphabetically, making finding a project a harrowing experience. Sorting is now improved to be in alphabetical order. In another case of improved sorting, on the share popup when adding collaborators to a project, the list has been re-ordered to display the project collaborators by permission level and alphabetical username.
- For user and organization usernames, a limitation was added such that both user and organization usernames can only be created with lowercase characters and numbers.
- A few enhancements were made around in-site notifications: organization admins and not members will see organization notifications. This is related to a bug fix for notifications being shown to all members of organizations that were near or at account limits.
- A bug, which caused photos within repeat groups to not show up in the single submission view was fixed.
- We added clearer error messages for failed media uploads.
08-01-2016 v1.2 Release
- We enabled advanced features, previously only available on select paid plans, on all public datasets. This will enable all users to make use of a lot more features on the site with no restriction as long as the project is public. Advanced features include webhooks, advanced chart options (such as saving charts to the dashboard tab), Ona Apps, filtered datasets, and XLS Reports.
- On our pricing module, we added a billing code entry to the project settings page for both personal and organization accounts. This supports custom pricing based on account/project usage for select enterprise clients. Email email@example.com to learn more about project-based pricing.
- For Windows users who were seeing non-English characters displayed in CSV exports, we have added the CSV (Windows Compatible) option under data exports. This ensures non-English characters are displayed correctly on Windows.
- On the form Overview tab, while exporting data using a date range filter (in the advanced export options), there was a bug where the specified end date was not being included in the exported data. We fixed it so both the start and end date are applied to the data export.
- We notified users, via a message on the Ona home page, to switch to the new ODK configuration settings if they haven't done so already. Read more about this on the Ona blog: Updates to user permissions in ODK Collect.
- On charts, histograms that have large values now have abbreviated x-tick values with suffixes to ensure that large values are always legible.
07-01-2016 v1.1.67 Release
- Ona now supports Google spreadsheets integration. Google spreadsheets is a web-based application that allows users to create, update and modify spreadsheets and share the data live online. This integration will allow users to send incoming submissions to a Google Spreadsheet as they are received by Ona. Additionally, edits and deletes on Ona are synced to the Google spreadsheet. Google spreadsheet settings are available under the newly added 'Apps' tab in the dataset settings page.
- We integrated RapidPro, an open source interactive message platform, into Ona. The goal of this integration is to make it easy for end users to have a form submit into a flow. RapidPro settings are also available under the newly added 'Apps' tab in the dataset settings page.
- We enabled full support for the Humanitarian Exchange Language (HXL). Read up more on how this works and how you can use it here.
- We fixed a bug on charts where null values were being displayed as negatives for multiple choice questions.
- We fixed a bug that caused percentages in stacked bar chart sections not to add up to 100%.
- Additionally, we added inline labels to stacked bar chart sections.
06-01-2016 v1.1.64 Release
- Users are now able to jump directly to editing a record from the table tab. Before, users had to open a single submission popup before they could access the edit record button.
- We've improved error handling accross the site by ensuring invalid project IDs are handled and we display relevant error messages to users. We also improved the handling of errors while saving filtered datasets to accounts that don't allow filtered datasets.
- We deployed the latest version of Enketo, which fixes a problem were Enketo was not generating unique IDs for form submissions.
- We improved the OSM functionality — the forms are now loading data properly in the tables and users can now see OSM shapes on the map.
On Charts,we made the following improvements:
- We fixed a bug that caused percentages in stacked bar sections to not add up to 100%.
- Stacked bar chart sections are sorted according to the order in which they appear in the form.
- We have also removed null entries from pie chart visualisation, previously null entries were currently included in pie chart sector size calculation, and shown as "No answer".
05-01-2016 v1.1.57 Release
- We implemented chart colors based on XLSForms. Based on the colors defined in the XLSForm options these will define the chart colors.
We added chart data grouping UI controls. We enabled choosing a field to group the data points by.
This applies exclusively to
- We added HXL support to our form export feature. Users who upload forms that support HXL can now download and export these forms with HXL tags.
- When users uploaded new xlsforms to an account, the page had to be refreshed for it to appear. This was fixed so the uploaded form appears immediately. We modified the upload progress to show time to upload and time to verify the uploaded form.
- While searching for projects, the function was not supporting special characters. This was fixed and special characters are now recognized in search terms.
- We fixed a bug fix on media uploads, media files are now shown immediately after an upload.
- The statistic toggle buttons were always disabled for grouped numeric charts, this was fixed and the SUM and AVG buttons are now enabled.
- We have also renamed filtered dataviews to read as filtered datasets on the site. Additionally a fix was added to fix deleted filtered datasets were still appearing on the projects page.
- We made a change to webforms so that Enketo forms now load correctly on the Safari browser.
- We changed the way we set Enketo cookies to make webforms more secure.
- We modified exports in the API to decrease the time it takes to create KML exports.